Alibaba Group kicked off its 14th annual 11.11 Global shopping festival on 24 October.
Building up excitement from 24 Oct
Shoppers can add items to their online shopping carts at 11.11 prices from 24 October, a week before the first checkout window. They can check out any time between 31 October and 3 November or 10 November to 11 November. Staggered orders help merchants process the large number of orders the event is known for.
Highlights from 1 - 3 November
- In the first hour on Monday evening, 102 brands recorded sales of more than CNY100m (US$13.6m) in gross merchandise value (GMV) on Alibaba platforms
- The number of views recorded by Taobao Live increased by 600% compared with the first hour of the first purchasing period last year
- During the first 11.11 sales window, the total GMV from Taobao merchants born after 2000 increased by 23.7% compared with the first sales window last year.
- 750 overseas brands on Tmall Global more than doubled their GMV growth compared to last year’s first sales period
- Top growth categories from the first sales window include sports, outdoors, automotive, storage and organisation, alcoholic beverages and musical instruments. Chinese consumers are also buying more jewelry, part of a bigger trend toward long-lasting purchases
Immersive retail with a new influencer
Alibaba’s luxury shopping platform has made an avatar of its own: a virtual influencer named Timo. The white-haired character will curate and host exhibitions on the platform, including showcases of 3D digital collectibles from luxury brands. Sales of luxury goods with 3D and AR features saw double-digit year-on-year growth in 2022. Shoppers also spent twice as long looking at these products.
Source: Alibaba Group
Read our round up of Alibaba's latest initiatives for 11.11 here.
Retail Analysis weekly newsletter