Retail and consumer goods industry news

04 October 2013
Both Coles and Woolworths have announced new partnerships with two iconic British chefs, as they continue to promote great quality fresh and affordable healthy food. Coles teams up with Heston Blumenthal Coles has announced that it will be forming an exclusive partnership with Heston Blumenthal to create an extensive range of products with a focus on Australian and Indigenous ingredients. T...
04 October 2013
Botswana-based Choppies has revealed annual results for the period ending June 2013, saying total revenue had risen 22% to BWP4.0 billion (US$461.1 million). Revenue growth aided by store openings In the retailer’s financial statement, it said: “ New store openings coupled with improved product mix and a higher percentage of Choppies-branded goods being sold, paved way for a strong growth in ...
04 October 2013
Belgium-based Colruyt will, according to Storecheck Magazine, open its first ‘fourth generation’ store in the town of Halle, in its home market, before the end of 2013. New store will not be a ‘revolution’ According to Frans Colruyt, who was interviewed for the magazine, the store will ‘ will not be a revolution. We won’t change the foundations, but we do have to keep the concept fresh ’. ...
04 October 2013
Woolworths has launched a new Farmers private label milk brand in some of its stores in New South Wales. Direct milk supply to drive a more sustainable future The brand has started to appear in stores on the north coast of the state, with plans to roll it out to all of its NSW stores in the next few months. The brand is sourced from dairy farmers in the Manning Valley and comes in three var...
03 October 2013
Guillaume Darrasse, director general of Système U, has revealed that of the retailer's €240m online sales made from January to August 2013, 89% has come from the Drive format. Believes there is great potential for growth Speaking at an event organised by Editions Dauvers and French magazine Linéaires, Mr Darrasse said that the remaining 11% has come from home delivery. The average Driv...
03 October 2013
Over 100 category managers and shopper marketing practitioners working for suppliers across the globe took part in this years IGD benchmarking survey on category management and shopper marketing survey, building on previous IGD industry benchmarking surveys over the last ten years. What suppliers say: key to developing effective trading relationships One of the key messages that came out of ...
03 October 2013
Morrisons has appointed Daniel Beecham to the role of chief information officer, poaching him from Australian supermarket Woolworths. Bring stability to the team Daniel Beecham has joined Morrisons to help it improve its ageing infrastructure. He is well placed to achieve this, having led the transformations of Woolworths systems during his six years there. Beecham will join Morrisons in the...
03 October 2013
Brazilian business group Ultrapar has acquired one of the country's largest drugstore chains, Imifarma Produtos Farmacêuticos e Cosméticos S.A, which operates under the Extrafarma brand. Marks Ultrapar's entry into retail pharmacy sector Ultrapar and Extrafarma will enter into an association agreement. As a result Extrafarma will become a wholly-owned subsidiary of the business group, an...
03 October 2013
Spain-based El Corte Inglés and Repsol have announced that they are working together to open a ‘ new style ’ forecourt store, under the Supercor Stop & Go banner, in their home market. New store to focus on ‘staple products’ The new store format, which will be added on Repsol forecourts, will focus on supplying staple products and meeting a wide range of shopper missions. The stores will prov...
03 October 2013
AS Watson affiliate Rossmann has stated its plan to continue adding to its network of stores in Poland, saying ‘ the potential development… is huge ’. New stores to be added across the country Commenting on the retailer’s expansion plans, Piotr Zielinski, a leasing agent for its network management team, said: “ We are opening up wherever our store can be profitable. By developing the network,...