Puregold news

11 August 2015
SM Retail reports strong underlying growth in the first half. Puregold acquires BudgetLane supermarket chain. SM Retail reports sustained 6% growth in total sales For the first half of this year, SM Retail reported 6% growth in total sales to PHP96.7bn (US$2.1bn) and 13% increase net income to PHP3.1bn (US$67.3m). The food retail business has continued to expand in both urban and rural c...
21 May 2015
Q1 results and key news from the market, including Puregold's new joint venture and Robinsons' premium format expansion. Puregold: announces Ayala partnership for new locations Net sales grew 12.5% to PHP20.7bn (US$463.6 mn), whilst net income grew 11.1% to PHP1.1bn (US$24.6 mn). Same store sales grew above target at 4.4%. Puregold has formed a new partnership with mall operator Ayala...
16 March 2015
Network expansion fuelling strong performance Net income grew 18% to PHP 4.5bn. Net sales grew 16% to PHP 84.7bn. This performance was supported by network expansion, with a net increase of 33 outlets, mainly in the supermarket format. In balance, same store sales growth in grocery formats grew a moderate 1.8% year on year. First Lawson store to open this quarter, 50 by year end ...
16 February 2015
This leading multichannel retailer in the Philippines will combine new store openings, national expansion, and loyalty mechanics to ensure double digit growth in the year ahead. M&A activity kicks off new store openings Puregold aims to add 25 new stores to its network in 2015, planning to invest around PHP 5.5bn. The retailer has already announced its first deal of the year: it will acquire...
08 December 2014
We examine how Puregold plans to expand in the small store channel in 2015 and beyond. Plethora of small format developments planned for 2015 Puregold plans to expand its relationships with traditional traders through its Aling Puring program; this has a base of over 300,000 members including sari-sari store operators and foodsellers. In 2014 the retailer has trialled a handful of sto...
02 July 2014
MBV Retail Holdings Corp. plans to step up its convenience store expansion in the Philippines. The company has announced that it wants to open 100 new All Day c-stores, which formerly operated under the Finds banner, by the end of the year. Convenience to grow rapidly over the next five years All Day, which is owned by MBV Retail Holdings Corp. the retail arm of the Philippines' Villar Grou...
16 June 2014
A leading Filipino grocery chain and pan-Asian convenience operator plan to partner and operate 500 stores by 2020. First store to open this year Multi-format retailer Puregold will hold a 70% stake in the partnership, with Japanese Lawson to hold the remaining 30%. Stores will operate under the Lawson banner, with the first outlet expected to open later in 2014. The partners have plans ...
27 May 2014
The latest news from Walmart in India and Puregold in the Philippines illustrates close working with the traditional retail sector to grow their businesses in these key Asian emerging markets. Walmart India: B2B online platform Walmart is set to launch its B2B online platform in India. It will go live in Lucknow and Hyderabad first, with plans to test the service for four to five months...
02 October 2013
The Philippines' second largest grocery retailer plans at least 125 new stores in the next 5 years. Scaling up plans to capture growth Puregold Price Club Inc has enhanced its three year plan to a five year time frame. Its target is at least 25 new stores per year; these are expected to be hypermarkets, with additional growth in its supermarket, discount and wholesale formats. Puregold...
15 August 2013
One of Sainsbury's executive advisors will recommend expansion in the Philippines to the company's board, InsideRetail.Asia reports. Sainsbury's considering Asian expansion? Executive advisor Ian Wade plans to recommend expansion in the Philippines to the company's board, citing the population's growing spending power as a key opportunity, according to InsideRetail.Asia. Sainsbury's is ...